The Master Sword, Link’s most iconic weapon throughout the Zelda franchise, holds a special place in every Zelda player’s heart. Yes, it is the same sword that was shattered at the beginning of Tears of the Kingdom, but it seems it has since found itself in an interesting new location within Hyrule!
Acquiring the Master Sword may require some effort, but it is one of the most potent weapons you can add to your collection reasonably early in the game. In this guide, we’ll provide a step-by-step walkthrough to help you locate the Master Sword and claim it as your own, unlocking one of the most reliable weapons in the game!
Master Sword Location in Zelda: TOTK
The Master Sword in TOTK is not located in a fixed spot on the map like in the previous games. Instead, it is stuck to the head of a mighty dragon that soars the skies of Hyrule.
Put simply, here are the steps you need to follow to obtain the Master Sword in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom:
- Step 1: Locate the Light Dragon.
- Step 2: Find a way to get on the dragon’s back.
- Step 3: Pull out the Master Sword from the dragon’s head.
However, it is important to note that Link will need two complete Stamina wheels to have enough endurance to pull the weapon out from the Light Dragon’s head. And in case you’re wondering: No, yellow stamina wheels gained from consuming specific food do not count! So, get to completing those Shrines – you must complete at least 20 of them to have the required amount.
Now that you have a general idea of what to do to get the Master Sword, let’s dive into the details of each step to guide you through the process!
How to Find the Light Dragon Location in Tears of the Kingdom
There are, essentially, two methods to locate the Light Dragon in Tears of the Kingdom:
- By Chance: While exploring the expansive Overworld of Hyrule, you may stumble upon the dragon gracefully circling the skies. As long as you have the necessary stamina, you can retrieve the Master Sword without having the related quest. However, searching for the dragon without a specific purpose can be time-consuming.
- By Obtaining the Main Quest, “Recovering the Hero’s Sword“: To acquire this quest, you must venture through the Lost Woods in the Depths and use Ascend to reach Korok Forest from below. Once there, enter the gloomy giant tree, dive into the Deku Tree Chasm, and defeat the Phantom Ganon within. Successfully conquering this challenge will restore the Great Deku Tree, who will then provide you with the main quest. With this quest tracked in your Adventure Log, the exact location of the Light Dragon will be marked on your map with a moving marker.
How to Get On the Light Dragon in Zelda: TOTK
Being able to ride on dragons is one of the top things Link can do in Tears of the Kingdom that he couldn’t in Breath of the Wild! Here’s how to get on the Light Dragon and claim your Master Sword:
- Wait for the dragon to be near a Skyview Tower.
- Fast travel to the Skyview Tower.
- Activate the tower to launch Link into the air.
- Paraglide onto the dragon’s back.
How to Retrieve the Master Sword from the Light Dragon in Zelda: TOTK
Once you’re safely on the dragon’s back, you should be able to spot the glowing Master Sword on its head. Follow these steps to retrieve it:
- Approach the Master Sword and press and hold the ‘A’ button to grab hold of it and begin pulling the weapon out of the dragon’s head.
- Keep holding the button as Link exerts all his strength (and stamina) to pull the weapon from the dragon’s head.
- Eventually, a story cutscene will trigger, and you’ll add the Master Sword to your collection.
Remember, it’s a requirement to have two green stamina wheels, as insufficient stamina will cause the sequence to end abruptly, resulting in the dragon shaking you off and sending you falling!
Click here to check out our latest Zelda: TOTK guides!
With the Master Sword rightly in your possession now, you’ll be well-equipped to face the challenges that await in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom!
If you liked this article and found it helpful, let us know in the comments below. And don’t forget to keep an eye on Gamer Haul for the latest updates and best guides for your favorite games!